Law Enforcement Pre-Academy
Intro to Law Enforcement Academy
Academy Assessment Testing
Law Enforcement Training Complex
One Hancock Drive
Lompoc, CA 93446
In order to attend the Pre-Academy, you must:
- Register as a student at Allan Hancock College
- Sign up for LE310
- Download and complete the Pre-Academy packet
- Read this entire page and all links or attachments
- If you are 18-21, read this first
The Pre-Academy is a 2-day intensive, high-stress orientation course designed to help
students determine if they are prepared for the Law Enforcement Academy. Completion
of this course (18 hours) is mandatory for students planning on attending the Full-time Law
Enforcement Academy. Students will participate in Academy activities such as class
lectures, note taking, written tests, physical fitness exercises, military drill and
ceremony, all of which are designed to simulate the daily challenges and requirements
recruits must face while attending the Law Enforcement Academy. Students will also
participate in a series of self-assessment exercises that will help students assess
their individual emotional, mental, and physical readiness prior to entering the Academy.
The Pre-Academy is presented in a very rigorous and disciplined training environment.
Pre-Academy Family Orientation is scheduled on the first day of Pre-Academy from 8am
to 10am in one of the Academy classrooms at the Public Safety Training Complex, Lompoc
Valley Campus. The Family Orientation is designed to help understand the rigors,
demands and challenges that the Academy Recruit will be facing while attending the
Law Enforcement Academy. The Academy Coordinator will able to answer all questions
about the Law Enforcement Academy. Family Orientation. Seating is limited and limited
to two guests per recruit and please, no children.
Students attending Pre-Academy should be able to complete the minimum physical fitness
- 1.5 mile run (under 15 minutes)
- 25 push ups - (no time limit)
- 35 sit ups - (in two minutes)
- 1 unassisted pull up
The PT Assessment is scored based on your performance. The faster you run and the
more push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups you complete, the higher your score. Your combined
PT ranking and PELLETB ranking determines your eligibility ranking into the academy
as an independent recruit.
Students should arrive at the pre-academy in top physical condition. Students should
also hydrate (drink at least 8 glasses of water a day) at least 48 hours before the
start of the pre-academy.
Students with pre-existing injuries or disabilities must contact the course coordinator
or college student services office for advisement.
- October 7-8, 2017 (Sat-Sun), 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, PSTC, Lompoc, CA
- PT Assessment: October 7, 2017 @ 10:00 am
- POST PELLETB test: October 8, 2017 (Sun). 8:00 am (bring photo ID)
- Application Enrollment Period for Class 114 (Spring 2018): October 16-27, 2017
- April 7-8, 2018 (Sat-Sun), 8:00 am - 5:30 pm each day. PSTC, Lompoc, CA.
- PT Assessment: April 7, 2017 @ 10:00 am
- POST PELLETB test: April 8 2018 (Sat). 8:00 am (bring photo ID)
- Application Enrollment Period for Class 115 (Fall 2018): April 16- 27, 2018
- October 6-7, 2018 (Sat-Sun), 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, PSTC, Lompoc, CA
- PT Assessment: October 6, 2018 @ 10:00 am
- POST PELLETB test: October 7, 2018 (Sun). 8:00 am (bring photo ID)
- Application Enrollment Period for Class 116 (Spring 2019): October 15-26, 2018
PELLETB Testing (go to the POST website for pre-test assistance)
PELLETB testing will be conducted at the Lompoc PSTC. It will be conducted the second
morning of the Pre-Academy. Check-in is at 8:00 am sharp and the doors to the classroom
will be locked at 8:00 am (no exceptions). Must bring a valid driver's license.
Additional PELLETB testing date may be scheduled as needed.
PELLETB test dates: (call ext. 3284 to reserve a seat)
- August 4, 2017 @ 9:00 am (PELLETB and PT Assessment)
- October 8, 2017 @ 8:00 am (Sun)
- April 8, 2018 @ 8:00 am (Sun)
- October 7, 2018 @ 8:00 am (Sun)
- more dates to be added later
PT Assessment test dates: (call ext. 3284 to reserve a seat)
- August 4, 2017 @ 11:00 am (PSTC Lompoc)
- October 7, 2017 @ 10:00 am (PSTC Lompoc)
- April 7, 2018 @ 10:00 am (PSTC Lompoc)
- October 6, 2018 @ 10:00 am (PSTC Lompoc)
If you have questions regarding the pre-academy or the Full-time Basic Academy, contact one of the Academy Coordinators.
Please read the information provided on the web site, review the application process
and read the Frequently Asked Questions page before calling one of the coordinators:
Ken George at 805-922-6966 ext. 3861
Alison Martinez at 805-922-6966 ext. 3812
Students planning on attending LE 310 Intro to Law Enforcement Academy (Pre-Academy) must
apply online, and then register for LE 310 Intro to Law Enforcement Academy on myHancock. When registering online, you will be required to pay in full all college registration
fees or you will be dropped for non-payment.
Pre-Academy Attendance Instructions (MANDATORY READ)
For attendance instructions and requirements click on Pre-Academy Syllabus PDF and Pre-Academy Attendance Instructions PDF for full details of what is required for successful completion of Pre-Academy. All
attendees should be prepared and read the following packet. (partial recruit manual)
Pre-Academy and Law Enforcement Academy Preparation
LE 480 Women in Public Safety Careers.
This course is designed to prepare women for successful completion of a Public Safety
Basic Academy in Law Enforcement, Fire Technology or Emergency Medical Services. This
course will focus on preparation for the physical, academic, emotional and psychological
rigors of Academy training.
Improving upper body strength and general physical fitness is one of the main components
of the course. Meeting two evenings a week, students work to increase their strength
on weight training equipment and practice obstacle course skills that they will be
tested on during academy training.
The semester long course meets on the Lompoc campus Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30
to 8:50 p.m. and is offered in the spring and fall semester. Students can apply online
and register online
for LE 480 Women in Public Safety Careers. When registering online, you will be required
to pay in full all college registration fees.
For additional information on the Allan Hancock College Law Enforcement Academy, click
on Frequently Asked Questions PDF or contact the Law Enforcement Training office at 805-922-6966 ext. 3284.
Top of Page