Need help getting started on a research project?
You’ve come to the right place.
- Study smarter. First, carefully review your assignment.
- Understand the research process shown below.
- Start with an encyclopedia to get an overview of your topic. Note important keywords and related topics for
- Consider using a Libguide on your subject that contains quality links, sources, and websites selected by research
- Find a book on your topic in the college’s library collection.
- Try using important keywords to locate fact-checked periodical or newspaper articles on your topics.
- Evaluate what you find for credibility and authority. Revise your search terms and
search again if needed.
- Cite your sources properly. Try the Writing Center's MLA citation help.
- Perhaps view a video tutorial on:
Still having trouble? Let the AHC librarians be your new BFFs. Try Ask-a-librarian for research assistance and receive expert help by email.
Top of Page
CAL Fire/San Luis Obispo County Fire
"Enrolling in the Fire Academy at Hancock was the best decision of my life. I am receiving an amazing education from instructors who have hundreds of years of experience combined. We are able to apply what we learn inside the classroom to real world applications by using the complex's state-of-the-art facilities. There is no doubt in my mind, I will be as prepared as possible to hit the ground running with a fire department after I graduate."
Submit a Testimonial »