What is an Internship?
An internship is a job in which the student has an intentional learning goal to obtain
hands-on knowledge, which goes beyond the classroom, by participating in a carefully
monitored work or service experience. Although internships vary widely from organization
to organization, they have common characteristics.
- Is a time-limited work experience that can range from one month to one year, usually
lasting 3 months.
- Is intended to bridge the gap between the classroom and the professional world.
- Promotes academic, career and/or personal development.
- Typically includes learning objectives, shadowing, reflection, evaluation and assessments.
- Balances the intern's learning goals with the specific work that organization needs
- Have varying daily time commitments and may be part to full-time.
- Could be part of an educational program that would be carefully monitored and evaluated
for academic credit.
How Do I Benefit from Participating in the STEM Internship Program?
As the Employer:
- It's a great opportunity to mentor and develop local talent. Help keep creativity
here on the Central Coast, thereby increasing the local demand for more skilled labor.
- Reinforce the concept that is possible to have a successful professional career on
the central coast, thereby preventing the need for recent graduates to relocate to
a larger metropolitan area.
- A local skilled workforce will increase the amount of STEM based firms to the central
coast seeking highly trained STEM graduates. Examples of these firms might include:
green, bio-tech, and engineering.
- Valuable public relations ambassadors for your organization; Recruitment and Workforce
- Students energize a workplace with their enthusiasm, creativity and desire to learn.
Internships are a cost-effective strategy for hiring young, motivated, and educated
talent. Remember that, other than compensation to the individual student employee,
the Allan Hancock College Internship Program is provided at no cost for both the students
and our participating business partners. Join us, and become one of the most vital
components of a student's college education!
As the Student:
Internships provide students the opportunity to apply their education and skills,
and gain experience in a real world environment before you graduate. These experiences
enhance conventional classroom learning methods and enable students to try out their
field of study. Most companies, today, expect recent graduates to have "field" experience;
an internship is a great way to obtain this!
In addition, you will gain:
- Career related experience.
- Practical knowledge.
- Opportunities to explore varying career options.
- Valuable work experience for your resumes.
- Potential to earn academic credit. Increased self-confidence.
- An industry network.
...Closing the gap between education and a career!
Top of Page
Political Science Transfer
"Counseling helped me develop a Student Education Plan which organized my classes in a way to help me develop as a better student and make my course-load easier by taking courses that complemented each other. The semesters were designed for me to focus on my courses. Now I'm well prepared and disciplined to start my new chapter in life by attending CSU Northridge as a Political Science: Law and Society major."