Steps to Transfer to a University
You have applied to a university, now what?
Next Steps Checklist.
- Submit official transcripts via your myHancock portal student tab (if asked by the
- Complete any Transfer Supplemental Applications (varies from campus to campus)
- If you applied to a UC campus, complete the UC update by January 31.
- Complete any remaining online EOP applications (separate application for each CSU
- File FREE Online Application fo Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Complete the Allan Hancock College Foundation Scholarship online application.
- If you attended a Santa Barbara County high school, complete the online Santa Barbara Foundation Scholarship application by January 15.
- Meet with an AHC counselor to file an IGETC or CSU General Education Certification.
- Meet with an AHC counselor to apply for any degrees earned. The associate degree
for transfer deadline is mid-February.
- Research and apply for scholarships (each university may have separate scholarship applications on their financial aid
- Admissions decisions typically start to roll out in February (some may be earlier and some may come March-May).
March - April:
- To earn a transfer recognition award, let the AHC University Transfer Center know where you will be attending in the fall.
- If you applied for FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid packet (aka financial award letter) from most universities. The financial aid packet will provide detailed description
of how much money you will receive at the university.
- Attend a "Next Steps" workshop offered by the AHC University Transfer Center.
- If possible, visit prospective campuses during open house events.
- Attend College Signing Day (contact the UTC for more information)
- Submit Student Intent to Register (SIR) to UC and CSU schools. See your university portal for exact deadlines.
- Attend the Transfer Stars Reception hosted by the AHC University Transfer Center
- Attend your Allan Hancock College Commencement if you applied for an associate degree.
- Check your email on a regular basis for important updates, requirements, and documents you need to
send to each university.
- Check your university portal regularly! Missing important deadlines often means a withdrawal of your application.
- If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask a counselor for help!
Other Important Steps:
- Submit an on-campus housing application. If you are applying for on-campus housing, you can submit an application once you
get your student ID number. Most campuses have a first come, first served procedure.
Applications can be found on the school's housing web page.
- Attend your university orientation! Most orientations are held in June and July. Some campuses will have a transfer
- Submit your final official transcripts to the university you are attending. Deadlines vary!
- Contact the AHC University Transfer Center (UTC) for more information: building A,
room 205 or call 805-922-6966 ext. 3363
Top of Page
"I like to teach. The science of how vines work, the importance of growing grapes, this is what I'm into. And I show different ways, not just one way. Students like to hear about the research that has been done with varying production techniques. They like to know what others in the industry are doing."
Submit a Testimonial »
Find Your Future