Steps to Transfer to a University
You have applied to a university, now what?
Next Steps Checklist.
- Submit official transcripts via your myHancock portal student tab (if asked by the
- Complete any Transfer Supplemental Applications (varies from campus to campus)
- If you applied to a UC campus, complete the UC update by January 31.
- Complete any remaining online EOP applications (separate application for each CSU
- File FREE Online Application fo Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Complete the Allan Hancock College Foundation Scholarship online application.
- If you attended a Santa Barbara County high school, complete the online Santa Barbara Foundation Scholarship application by January 15.
- Meet with an AHC counselor to file an IGETC or CSU General Education Certification.
- Meet with an AHC counselor to apply for any degrees earned. The associate degree
for transfer deadline is mid-February.
- Research and apply for scholarships (each university may have separate scholarship applications on their financial aid
- Admissions decisions typically start to roll out in February (some may be earlier and some may come March-May).
March - April:
- To earn a transfer recognition award, let the AHC University Transfer Center know where you will be attending in the fall.
- If you applied for FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid packet (aka financial award letter) from most universities. The financial aid packet will provide detailed description
of how much money you will receive at the university.
- Attend a "Next Steps" workshop offered by the AHC University Transfer Center.
- If possible, visit prospective campuses during open house events.
- Attend College Signing Day (contact the UTC for more information)
- Submit Student Intent to Register (SIR) to UC and CSU schools. See your university portal for exact deadlines.
- Attend the Transfer Stars Reception hosted by the AHC University Transfer Center
- Attend your Allan Hancock College Commencement if you applied for an associate degree.
- Check your email on a regular basis for important updates, requirements, and documents you need to
send to each university.
- Check your university portal regularly! Missing important deadlines often means a withdrawal of your application.
- If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask a counselor for help!
Other Important Steps:
- Submit an on-campus housing application. If you are applying for on-campus housing, you can submit an application once you
get your student ID number. Most campuses have a first come, first served procedure.
Applications can be found on the school's housing web page.
- Attend your university orientation! Most orientations are held in June and July. Some campuses will have a transfer
- Submit your final official transcripts to the university you are attending. Deadlines vary!
- Contact the AHC University Transfer Center (UTC) for more information: building A,
room 205 or call 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3363
Top of Page
"Hancock has been making a big difference in my life. I really recommend Allan Hancock College to anyone that has English as a second language. [The instructors] help me and try to explain every single thing. This is really interesting for me: Assets, liabilities. . . I'm learning a lot in the accounting program. I want to have better opportunities. That's why I wanted to come to Hancock."