As the world becomes increasingly smaller, knowledge of foreign languages expands
in importance. Spanish is a very useful language in education, health, social services,
business, and other fields where contact with the public takes place. The focus of
the program is on language; however, students also gain historical, economic, and
cultural insights into the Hispanic world.
Allan Hancock College’s language program provides instruction in Spanish, French,
Italian, and American Sign Language. While most classes are offered as traditional
onsite classes, Spanish, French, and Italian are also offered online. For more information
of these offerings, please check the schedule of classes.
Although the program emphasizes the four aspects of language learning—speaking, understanding,
reading, and writing—culture is also an integral component of the classes.
The Spanish program provides beginner, intermediate, and advanced Spanish language
courses. Students can also earn an A.A. in Spanish degree, and A.A. in Spanish for
Transfer. Further, the program also provides three vocational-centered certificates
of accomplishment: Spanish Language Skills - Elementary Level, Spanish Language Skills
- Intermediate Level, and Spanish Language Skills - Advanced Level. The Spanish program focus on the language, but also includes historical, economical and cultural insights
into the Hispanic world.
For French and American Sign Language, the college also offers instruction in beginner
French and beginner and intermediate ASL.
The graduate of the AA program in Spanish will:
- Be independent language learners and have core competencies in grammar and vocabulary,
reading, writing, oral and listening skills, and develop a cultural awareness, to
achieve their personal, vocational, and academic goals.
Degrees and Certificates Offered:
- Spanish - Associate in Arts
- Spanish - Associate in Arts for Transfer
- Spanish Language Skills: Advanced Level - Certificate of Accomplishment
- Spanish Language Skills: Intermediate Level - Certificate of Accomplishment
- Spanish Language Skills: Elementary Level - Certificate of Accomplishment
Santa Maria Campus Bldg C
1-805-922-6966 ext. 3732
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Top of Page