We're here to help

The Santa Barbara County Department of Social Services provides protective and supportive services aimed at keeping individuals and families in our community safe, supported and self-sufficient.  Visit the County of Santa Barbara Social Services webpage for more information.

What is CalWORKs? 

The CalWORKs Program is a partnership between Allan Hancock College and the Department of Social Services to serve Welfare to Work recipients who are currently receiving CalWORKs cash aid assistance. The college’s CalWORKs program offers an array of supportive services designed to assist students in obtaining the educational level they require to transition off of cash assistance and ultimately achieve long-term self-sufficiency. 

CalWORKs Work-Study

The Allan Hancock College CalWORKs Work-Study Program provides CalWORKs students with on-campus work opportunities in order to develop and/or strengthen workplace skills while completing their educational goals. With the help of our campus employers, students may gain skills which will allow them to enter the workforce with the confidence that is needed to achieve career satisfaction and economic self-sufficiency. Work-Study is a time-limited program and allows students to earn money that will not be deducted from their monthly cash aid.

To be eligible for the Work-Study Program, a student must:

  • Be enrolled in AHC and be in good standing with the college
  • Be receiving the adult portion of cash aid and provide proof of cash aid from the County
  • Be participating in the County’s Welfare-to-Work Program
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units in the Fall or Spring semester for credit classes (6 hours for non-credit)
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of (1) units if being considered for in the Summer semester
  • Have a minimum (2.0) G.P.A. in the semester that the student is being considered for Work-Study

To remain eligible for the Work-Study Program, a student must:

  • Submit proof of cash aid for each new semester
  • Maintain the minimum (6) units/hours each Spring and Fall semester and 1 units each Summer semester
  • Maintain a 2.0 G.P.A. for each semester
  • Meet with a CalWORKs Counselor, Coordinator or Specialist each semester
  • Maintain contact with Work-Study Coordinator as needed

Students interested in Work-Study should contact the CalWORKs Coordinator, Specialist or Peer Advisor at AHC  (1-805-922-6966 x3214) or their Caseworker at the County office.



Santa Maria
Student Services Building A, Second Floor  Room A201

Lompoc Valley Center   
Bldg 2, Room 113 (next to EOPS office)            


Santa Maria
Monday- Thursday,  8 am to 4:30 pm
Friday, 8 am to 4 pm

Monday- Friday,  8 am to 4 pm or by appointment. 



Top of Page


 We're on Facebook! 

Click to interact with us via Facebook. Current and former students and friends of EOPS, CARE, and CalWORKs are welcome!

Celebrating diversity

Multicultural video thumb

Follow Hancock

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-youtube Instagram Icon Flickr Icon More Social Media

Student Success Scorecard

Last Modified Oct 23, 2018