Allan Hancock College has moved to all-remote operations and instruction, effective Monday, March 23, in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
For more information, you may visit the AHC COVID-19 webpage.
Are you considering a career in Cosmetology? The industry offers exceptional job opportunities nationwide, and the rate of job growth is much faster than average. With a state license in cosmetology you will be qualified to work as a beautician in beauty salons, and to own and operate your own salon. The possibilities are plentiful when you choose a career in beauty.
The Cosmetology program through Allan Hancock College is taught at the Institute of Beauty Culture.
About the Program
The Cosmetology program requires 1,600 hours of training, which fully prepares you for licensing as a beautician.
- Classes begin every six weeks throughout the year, and are held from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, through the Institute of Beauty Culture in Santa Maria.
- The program takes 42 weeks to complete.
- Attendance is mandatory.
- Upon satisfactory completion of all cosmetology courses, you can qualify to take the California State Board of Cosmetology licensure examination.
- If you haven't done so, apply for admission to the college.
- If you do not have a High School diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED, HiSET), make an appointment to meet with a counselor.
- Once you have been admitted to the college, and met with a counselor to work on your educational plan, your next step is to apply to the Cosmetology school.
- Admittance to the cosmetology program requires you to make an appointment with the manager of the private beauty school Institute of Beauty Culture, with which the college has a training contract, for an orientation.
- In addition to regular Allan Hancock College fees, you will also be required to purchase a training kit and appropriate uniforms. Contact Annette Aviles at 805-349-0200.
Degree and Course Information
As an AHC student training in one of our contracted beauty schools, you will have the opportunity to be skillfully trained in several subject areas including:
- Hair Shaping
- Hair Coloring
- Chemical Waving
- Shampoos and Rinses
- Scalp Treatments, Hair Care Rinses
- Facials including Hair Removal and Makeup
- Manicures, Nail Extensions, Pedicures
- Sanitation, Bacteriology
- California Law