Allan Hancock College is strongly committed to the concept and the practice of shared
governance as a process for institutional decision making. Shared governance is the
meaningful involvement of those affected by decisions in the decision making process
in a climate of mutual trust and respect. In order to implement shared governance
the District subscribes to the following principles.
- Faculty, administrators, classified staff, and students each possess a special knowledge
and expertise that will enhance the quality of decisions.
- All parties involved must work for the good of the institution in fulfilling its mission.
- The welfare of students is our most important goal and all parties must be committed
to the institution's primary mission which is the highest possible quality of education
and service to students.
- The decision making process depends upon open communication and full sharing of information
with all parties involved.
- While shared governance is time consuming and requires a high level of commitment
on the part of all parties involved, the benefits, including greater understanding
and acceptance of decisions, are worthy of the effort.
- Consensus will not always be possible and the governing board, as the entity holding
the institution in trust for the community, has the ultimate responsibility to act.
However, such action should be taken only after every effort has been made to resolve
the matter collegially and should only occur in unusual circumstances and for compelling
reasons. When such conditions exist the Board's decision will be accompanied by a
written explanation to the parties involved.
- In order for shared governance to work, the most critical component is mutual trust.
Top of Page
"I believe there needs to be more females in law enforcement. It is a challenging but rewarding career, especially for those who love to work with people. I am proud to be a member of the 109th class of Allan Hancock College's Law Enforcement Academy. This is an amazing opportunity to be trained by experienced instructors at a beautiful facility in my hometown."
Submit a Testimonial »