What is Required?
To be eligible for College Achievement Now (CAN) you MUST be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent
Resident AND you MUST meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First generation college student (Parents did not graduate from a 4-year university)
- Low income (determined by federal guidelines)
- Have a documented physical or learning disability (through LAP or other institution)
We also look at other factors when evaluating your application. Other criteria include:
GPA, enrollment status, total units completed, educational goal, and academic need.
If you are accepted to the CAN program, you are required to meet specific program
expectations including, but not limited to:
- Attend a mandatory acceptance orientation meeting
- Meet with the Advisor, a Peer Mentor and Counselor
- Attend a field trip or campus event
- Maintain a cumulative 2.30 GPA or higher
- Complete a Student Educational Plan (SEP)
- Must graduate or transfer from Allan Hancock College within 4 years
Top of Page
We're on Facebook!
Click to interact with us via Facebook. CAN Alumni are especially encouraged to join
us on Facebook and provide updates on your achievements and serve as a role models
to our current students.
CAN Success Story
Determined is the best word to describe Maribel Magana. Maribel started her college career at Allan Hancock nearly 10 years ago. For personal reasons, she had to take a break from her studies, but eventually she returned to complete an Associate's Degree and her CSU transfer requirements. While at Hancock, Maribel worked part time and juggled the responsibilities of being a wife and mother of three children, all while keeping her GPA above a 3.0. Maribel plans to get her teaching credential so she can teach at an elementary school in the local area. She is funding her university education through AHC Take Flight; an organization of transfer students who collectively receive an investment to pay for college.
Read More »