The Puente Project
Puente is a national program that helps increase the number of educationally-underserved students who enroll in four-year colleges and universities, earn degrees, and return to the community as leaders and mentors for succeeding generations.
The Puente Project is open to all students. Puente means “bridge” in Spanish and is a learning project community, like a family, where students take classes together, socialize together, and work one-on-one with the Puente counselor.
Phase 1 (Fall) • ENGL 101 with 112 (6 units) • PD 101 - (3 units)
Phase 2 (Spring) • ENGL 102 (3 units) • PD 115 (1 unit)
Phase 3 (Until Transfer) • Continuous Academic Counseling
- Plan to transfer to a university
- Make a one-year commitment to all Puente Project components
- Open and interested to reading and learning about Latinx Literature and Culture
Students of the Program...
- Take English course with a curricular focus on Latino literature and experience.
- Take personal development courses that focus on student success and career exploration.
- Are matched with a professional from the community, who will share their knowledge and experience. This will provide mentorship opportunities.
- Experience cultural activities, assist the community, and develop leadership skills.
- Meet frequently with the Puente counselor to develop and monitor a student education plan and for personal/ career counseling.
- Take educational field trips to universities each year and attend an annual statewide Puente student conference.
If you are interested in learning more or participating in the Puente Project, please contact the Puente counselor: Ricardo A. Navarrette email@example.com 1-805-922-6966, ext. 3634.
HOW TO USE CHAT?
Step 1: Click on "Knock on Door" on a staff member's card if you see a green light. Note: You can also log directly in to Cranium Cafe by visiting https://hancockcollege.craniumcafe.com and entering your myHancock username and password. This will give you access to chat with staff from other departments on campus.
Step 2: Click on "Enter meeting"
Should you have any issues, please contact our office at 805-922-6966 ext. 3293 and we will be more than happy to assist you.
Please note: When using the chat feature, please use a PC or a laptop and Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser, as the program is only compatible with the mentioned. Students using other web browsers and other forms of technology may experience technical problems when trying to connect to online chat.