AHC Virtual Writing Center
The Writing Center is now online!
Remote Writing Support
To receiving tutoring assistance from a Writing Center faculty, follow the steps below. Tutoring begins on August 24. Zoom links will be available at that time.
Questions? Use the chatbox on the right side of this page.
- Enroll in the free Writing Center course: BASK 7015, CRN 21014. BASK 7105, Reading and Writing, is a free noncredit course with no minimum attendance requirement, no unit value, and no grades. Simply log-in to the myHancock portal and add the section.
- Click the Zoom link schedule below (or in Canvas) to connect with an instructor. The Zoom links are categorized by days of the week. Please have your writing assignment available when you are ready to meet with a faculty tutor.
- Monday Instructor Schedule Zoom links
- Tuesday Instructor Schedule Zoom links
- Wednesday Instructor Schedule Zoom links
- Thursday Instructor Schedule Zoom links
- Friday Instructor Schedule Zoom links
- Saturday Instructor Zoom link
The Writing Center offers tutoring on a drop-in basis. Students are encouraged to access drop-in tutoring as needed. However, if you require extended time with a tutor, 50-minute appointments are available. For appointments, use the "Google Appointment Form" below to select an appointment time (coming soon). Please sign-up for no more than one appointment per week. Appointments must be made one day in advance.
View a short video below that demonstrates how to access services.
Questions? Use the chat box in the upper right corner for any questions about using the service.
We can also help you connect with a writing instructor if you call 805-922-6966 ext. 3501, during our operating hours:
Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. -3 p.m.,
Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
When We Are Closed
Our online Writing Resources, including our handouts on writing-related topics, are available to support you.
For research support, contact an AHC librarian.
To access peer-tutoring for most classes, visit the tutorial center website.
To access the computer lab while tutoring services are offered remotely, see the Open Access Computer Lab's website.
The Writing Center supports students at all levels and all stages of their writing process.
The Writing Center
The Writing Center provides one-on-one writing support to all AHC students for any reading and writing assignment. Our goal is to help students become more skillful and confident writers. The Writing Center also offers writing skills workshops, support materials, computers for students to work on writing assignments, and support to faculty.
Students who wish to access the Writing Center’s services must enroll in the free, noncredit BASK 7015 Reading and Writing Lab course. Students can enroll during their first visit with a faculty tutor or in advance through myHancock.
The Writing Center supports students at all levels and all stages of their writing process. Some of the services we provide include:
- one-on-one writing support at all stages of the writing process for reading and writing assignments for any class;
- assistance in all steps of the writing process from brainstorming, organizing, thesis development, MLA documentation, and much more;
- assistance for students at all levels of writing; and
- workshops focused on writing skills that can be applied to writing assignments in all courses.
Location and Hours
Bldg. L (ARC – Academic Resource Center) (Remote services only for fall 2020 semester)
Phone: 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3501
Fall and Spring Hours
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.