FRIENDS OF THE AHC LIBRARY BOOK CLUB
- Friends of the Library Book Club: The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library invites all staff and faculty to participate in timely discussions, develop relationships with peers and mentors, gain a fresh perspective, and re-energize as a team, all through a monthly Book Club! We will be reading a variety of genres to include a mix of fiction and non-fiction. The April Book Club pick is When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (to be discussed on Friday, April 17, from 1:15-2:15 pm and we will meet virtually). The May Book Club pick is The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson (to be discussed on Friday, May 15, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually). The June Book Club pick is Killers of the Flower Moon: the Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI (to be discussed on Friday, June 19, from 1:15-2:15 pm and we will meet virtually) and the July book pick is Fahrenheit 451 (to be discussed on Friday, July 17, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually).
FREE LECTURE SERIES AT AHC!
In February and March of 2020, the Friends of the AHC Library sponsored a series of free lectures presented by AHC faculty on the topic of the play Julius Caesar (in conjunction with PCPA's production of it). Missed the lectures? Enjoy Dr. Omidsalar's lecture on tyranny.
Missing your AHC family? See more lectures from the Friends of the Library-sponsored lecture series "Captain G. Allan Hancock -- Man on the Go," presented by Dr. Roger Hall in the fall of 2018.
Unfortunately, the basket silent auction will be postponed for the time being. more details tba. tHANK YOU AS ALWAYS FOR YOUR SUPPORT, AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE AUCTION IN THE FALL!
We will plan to host the popular tradition of the AHC Friends of the Library basket auction again in the fall of 2020! This year, the baskets will be displayed in the library, but for the first time, all bidding will be done online!
Come fall of 2020, join in the bidding fun at https://www.32auctions.com/FriendsoftheAHCLibrary
Proceeds go towards supporting free campus and community events (such as the popular lunch and learn series, the faculty lecture series, the Banned Books Week scavenger hunt, and much more)! Anyone is invited to donate a basket (though baskets with books are highly encouraged)!
ABOUT THE FRIENDS OF THE ahc liBRARY
The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library provide vital ongoing support for the AHC Library. The funds raised through contributions, donations, and special events enable the library to expand the educational resources offered to students and the community.
The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library was formed in Spring 2000 as part of the Allan Hancock College Foundation. Its mission is to enhance existing and planned library resources and programs and to serve as partners in fostering appreciation for the library.
Become a friend today!
The primary goal of the Friends is to raise funds for materials, projects, and services that exceed the resources of the library budget. Other goals include:
- Fostering enthusiasm for the library and strengthening ties to the community.
- Encouraging bequests and gifts to the library.
- Sponsoring special events and programs that enhance the awareness of the library.
- Supporting the literary works of students, faculty, and staff of Allan Hancock College.